As a Coach I will :
1) respect all who participate in the sport including:
• respecting the rights and dignity of everyone involved in athletics.
• treating everyone equally as everyone has value and is worthy of respect.
• never decimating on any grounds e.g. gender, race, athletic potential, sexual orientation, religion, socio economic status, age , disability.
• avoiding critical language or actions, which could undermine an athlete’s self esteem.
2) exhibit integrity in relationships including:
• cooperate fully with others involved in the sport in the best interests of the athlete.
• encouraging athletes to accept responsibility for their own performance and behaviour.
• developing appropriate working relationships with athletes based on mutual trust and respect.
• have a high degree of self-awareness and that my behaviour affects the behaviour of other.
• ensure athletes, parents, guardians know what is expected and what they expect from me.
• strictly maintain a clear boundary between friendship and intimacy.
• follow safeguarding guidelines and raise any concerns to the safeguarding officer.
• report any accidental injury, distress, misunderstanding or misinterpretation to the parents/guardians and Club Welfare officer as soon as possible.
• report any misconduct by others to the Club welfare officer as soon as possible.
3) maintain high personal standards such as:
• being fair, honest and considerate.
• never swearing, using abusive language or irresponsible/illegal behaviour.
• never being under the influence of alcohol or illegal substances.
• never carrying items that could be dangerous to myself or others.
• being a positive role model for athletes, the club and the sport.
• never exerting influence to obtain personal benefit or reward.
• never recruit, overtly or covertly, athletes who are already receiving coaching.
4) demonstrate high professional standards such as:
• being appropriately qualified, prepared and maintain up to date knowledge.
• ensuring I carry valid and appropriate insurance either personally or through the club.
• ensuring all environments are safe for the activities to be undertaken.
• ensuring activities I direct are appropriate for the maturity, experience and ability of the athletes.
• placing the welfare and safety of the athletes above the development of performance.
• observing the recommended maximum ratio of 1 coach to 12 athletes at a training session.
• challenging inappropriate behaviour and language by others.
• avoiding spending time alone with young athletes, including in a car or at my house.
• ensuring any physical contact is appropriate and always seeking consent beforehand.
• respecting the right of young athletes to an independent life outside of athletics.
5) ensure fair play by:
• recognising good performance by others.
• acting with dignity and display courtesy and good manners towards others.
• promoting positive aspects of the sport such as fair play.
• never condoning rule violations or the use of prohibited or age-inappropriate substances.